I haven’t been this excited about a travel spot since I first learned about Bora Bora. I recently saw this great list of the top 100 travel bucket list items. It has some great entries many of which I have been to and whole-heartedly agree.
100. Drink a painkiller at the Soggy Dollar Bar, BVI -Most searched for item on Islands Magazine.
99. See all of the Florida Keys -Heightened my interest in seeing the keys.
98. Get a treatment at one of the world’s best island spas -My back is aching for this right now!
97. Sleep under a Socotra tree -A what?
96. Find a surprise in Wales -I never knew Great Britain could have such clear skies. Looks amazing!
95. Play ball like a kid in the Dominican Republic -Didn’t play when I was younger, think I’ll skip this one. Go Yankees!
94. See Tahiti’s Super Bowl -Outrigger racing.
93. Paddle board in Hawaii -I’ve seen this a lot on Maui and Oahu.
92. Sip the world’s most “interesting” coffee in Bali -Not a coffee drinking, but love the smell of a good brew.
91. Stand on a glacier in Iceland -Just saw these up close and personal in Alaska.
90. Dine at one of the most romantic tables for two – the Grand Wailea Resort in Maui, Hawaii. We went with best friends last year and enjoyed the luau. Spectacular views and great show!
89. See the colors of Curacao -Great pallet.
88. Take a picture of Santorini, Greece -This is high up there on my bucket list, love the contrast of the stark white with deep blue and the surrounding island is incredible.
87. Taste the ultimate sushi in Japan -Yes please!
86. Take your time at the Bishop Museum in Hawaii -Museum in Hawaii?
85. to 76. Spot the coolest island animals
Dive with dugongs in the Philippines • Save the lemurs in Madagascar • Witness a crab orgy on Australia’s Christmas Island • Pet the Tasmanian devil (carefully!) in Tasmania • Pose with penguins in the Falklands • Stalk the “spirit bear” on Canada’s islands • Spot an ivory-billed woodpecker in Cuba • Dive with great white sharks off Dyer Island • See a tree kangaroo in Papua New Guinea • Meet arctic wolves on Ellesmere Island
75. Surf Waikiki -I didn’t surf, but I enjoyed the sand and the proverbial long walk on the beach. Poor snorkeling, but we did see a baby hammerhead shark.
74. to 72. Toast with these iconic island drinks
Relax with rum on Barbados • Knock down potent kava in a Fiji ceremony • Order a Guinness in Ireland
71. Ride a mule on Molokai, Hawaii -Not for those afraid of heights.
70. Cook a Tahitian feast -Ticket for two please.
69. Get spoiled Down Under at the qualia resort -Have to check this out. I have stayed on Moreton Island, but this one looks pretty awesome as well.
68. Climb to the Haleakala Crater on Maui -We drove the road to Hana and swam at Waianapanapa but we only drove around the base of Haleakala. Save it for another trip.
67. Live the island life in Bali -I think I could get used to this.
66. to 55. Ride like locals
Papua New Guinea by canoe • Madeira by toboggan • Vancouver Island by bike • Malta by bus • Venice by gondola • Exumas by seaplane • Sumbawa by scooter • Antarctic by icebreaker • Jamaica by raft • Luzon by carriage • Quirimbas by dhow • Cuba by Plymouth
54. Soak in the Baths, British Virgin Islands -We cruised to the BVI but I don’t remember a place like this in the tourist traps.
53. to 51. Get a thrill and a view
Hike on Grenada in the Grand Etang National Park • Ski in New Zealand with a helicopter in the Southern Alps • Kayak in the San Juan Islands
50. Stay in one of the world’s best island villas -This reminded me of the Secret Cove Resort in the Sunshine Coast of Canada, but I think I’d live in these waters.
49. Take a photo of Mount Fuji, Japan -Love the look of the manicured crops with Mount Fuji in the background.
48. Eat New Zealand raw -If it’s good enough for the Hobbits…
47. Take a romantic getaway to one of the world’s most romantic islands -Tahiti was their vote and mine too. See their overwater bungalow gallery!
46. Dive off Molokini crater in Hawaii -We didn’t dive, but we snorkeled. Amazing water clarity!
45. Find adventure in New Zealand -Looking for the road to Mordor.
44. Eat up Oahu -Ben there, ate that, it was yummy! More please.
43. Walk into paradise in Fiji -This place is what sparked my interest in this list. I so want to snorkel around this place. Check out Likuliku Lagoon Resort in Fiji.
42. See real hula in Hawaii -See #90, Grand Wailea Resort in Maui. One word, otherworldly.
41. Snorkel with whales in Tonga -Supernatural
40. Get to Ko Samui, Thailand -Love the food, water looks nice.
39. Book one of the world’s best island cruises -Sign me up today.
38. Stay underwater in the Maldives -Absolutely a bucket list item too. Conrad Maldives Resort & Spa on Rangali Island is a must.
37. Visit the best island beaches -Besties, sunscreen, bottled water, Triscuts and pepper jack cheese for me.
36. Visit the No. 1 most natural island destination -Vanuatu
UNESCO World Heritage sites honor Chief Roi Mata on Éfaté, Lelepa and Artok islands; the Vatthe Conservation Area offers an oasis of biodiversity on Espiritu Santo; and low-impact resorts such as the Epi Island Guesthouse provide responsible lodging. Rates from $50
35. Take naps, drink wine and eat a ton on St. Lucia -One out of two isn’t bad, how about a fruity drink with an umbrella?
34. Take the ultimate family vacation -34. Take the ultimate family vacation, just like Swiss Family Robinson, but better.
33. Step foot on One Foot Island in Aitutaki, Cook Islands -If it’s good enough for Captain Jack, it’s good enough for me.
32. See Tahiti beyond the bungalows -Yowser!
31. Fly over the Na Pali Coast of Kauai, Hawaii -Book me a first class seat PLEASE!
30. Night dive with mantas off the Big Island, Hawaii -Uhhhhh…
29. Sail the secret Caribbean -cruise with Star Clippers to the Leeward Islands.
28. Book a “sanctuary” at Jade Mountain resort on St. Lucia -Is this a painting or what?
27. Stay in an overwater bungalow in the Maldives -When you think of overwater bungalows you usually think of Bora Bora, but the Maldives have their own amazing bungalows as well.
26. Dive at Raja Ampat, Indonesia -“The most biodiverse marine life in the world” is how our dive and snorkeling expert described the experience here in Indonesia.”
25. Relax on the most stress-free island -Turks & Caicos is an amazing choice. Check out Zach Stovall’s pictures and you’ll see why.
24. Relax on sand in the Seychelles -An adventurers paradise for sure.
23. Stay at the No. 1 room with a view -The Viceroy in Bali.
22. Make Tahiti your home -A new trend that many are jumping on apparently.
21. Find the secret America -The “Secret American Islands” a.k.a American Samoa.
20. Escape to the coolest jungle -An island resort in Thailand.
19. Hop the Caribbean by boat -” In bareboat sailing, the weather is your only guide as you navigate purely via your line of sight. Catch this catamaran year-round on St. Thomas at CYOA Yacht Charters in Frenchtown, on the western side of Charlotte Amalie.”
18. Experience the culture of Papua New Guinea -Don’t forget your face makeup.
17. Feel the heat on the Big Island of Hawaii -No double entendre there.
16. Take a cruise into the secret South Pacific -See Orion Expedition Cruises.
15. Move to the USVI -A lot of talk about moving off the mainland these days.
14. Sleep on the Great Barrier Reef -Posted about this earlier this year.
13. Live in Hawaii -If you can afford $5 for a gallon of milk, sure, why not.
12. See the Galapagos -A dream really.
11. Live the island life forever -Here it is again, man the 9 to 5 must really be a killer.
10. Retire early on Roatan -Did someone say retire early?
9. to 3. Escape to a private island -My wife and I were once the only people on a Canadian island. Blissful!
Fowl Cay in the Exumas, Bahamas • Pamalican Island in the Philippines • Matangi in Fiji • Cayo Espanto in Belize • Akitua in the Cook Islands • Peter Island in the British Virgin Islands • Lizard Island in Australia
2. Fall asleep in a faraway hammock -“While away the hours on Thailand’s Ko Samui at Thongtakian Beach, or “Silver Beach” as the locals call it” I so want to get me some of that.
1. Escape to an overwater bungalow in Bora Bora -This had to be number one, really. What else?